the new book

photo-16

This past weekend, we had our first photo day for the new book.

The new book.  (Hold on. Deep breath.)

Making it Better: Recipes for a Homemade Life (tentative! But good, yeah?) will be published by Clarkson Potter in the Fall of 2015. The book is about all the ways I hope we can make it better, both in the kitchen and beyond it, by embracing the work and reframing the way we relate to the kitchen, and what we create there.

Jennifer May did the photos for The Homemade Pantry, and it’s beyond wonderful to be working with her again. Over the next few months, we’ll have about 10 photo days here at my house. This is a little peek into the first day. (With thanks to Joey, for remembering to document it. Also, for ironing all out t-shirts.)

IMG_4722

photo-12

photo-15photo-14photo-13

Oh, and thank you to everyone who entered in the Huldufolk House giveaway. The winner is Samantha Beckerman, who chose the Forest Fruit print (a big favorite for many of you). Samantha, let me know where you are, and Donovan will get your package in the mail. And if you didn’t win but fell in love with a print, how about treating your kitchen to a little new art? I have The Blushing Turnip and A Study of Moss and Lichen in my kitchen, and they make me so happy. By purchasing a print, you’re supporting a wonderful artist, a good friend of mine, and also this site. Thank you!

25 Responses to the new book

1. Kara says:

Yes, good title! Thanks for sharing these behind the scenes pics.

2. Lisa says:

How exciting! And I have to admit I’m envious of those gorgeous lilacs on your table.

3. Saeriu says:

Wow-can’t wait for your next book! I love the first one and use it all the time. Yeah–super excited. :)

4. Congratulations on the new book, Alana! How about doing a Festival event on “the home-made life” in the March 2015 Berkshire Festival of Women Writers?!

I’d love to! I always mean to submit an event, but then the time gets away from me… I’ll hop over to the BFWW site and try to get on top of it this time.

5. Jill says:

How am I going to be able to wait until fall 2015??!! But seriously, I am so excited for you Alana. I pass your cookbook on to everyone I know- and now I’ll have more gifts to give out!

6. Kristen says:

Oh, so exciting! Can’t wait for the new book!!

7. Lisa Leake says:

Congrats on your next book! :)

8. JoAnn C. says:

So very excited for you and I can’t wait until the new book comes out. I use Homemade Pantry at least once a week; mom and I refer to it as “Alana’s book.” ;)
    Congratulations!

9. What an exciting moment, making it real by starting up the photo shoots and announcing it to your fans!

10. Julie says:

Woo hoooo!!! A new book!

This is so very exciting, and yes, please thank everyone in those photos, plus your intrepid husband, from all of us out here in reader-land.

11. Paula from Tennessee says:

So excited about your new book. I have and treasure your Homemade Pantry. It gets used a lot.

12. Rachael says:

I cannot wait to get my hands on the new book and stain up some pages! :)

13. Anastasia says:

So exciting!!!!
    Can’t wait!!!!
    First it will be bedtime reading and then it will migrate into the kitchen.

14. Cheryl says:

I am just catching up now. This is SUCH EXCITING NEWS! I’m absolutely giddy for you. Congratulations on getting to this phase in the process. (Also, is it too early for us to sync up a few 2015 tour dates?!)

15. A new book?! Yay!! I LOVE the other one, and I definitely need more. It’s sad to think about waiting that long, but I’ll try to be patient… ;) I’m in the middle of the monumental task of trying to improve my family’s eating habits, and I need all the help I can get. Thank goodness for blogs and books like yours!

Thank you, Stephanie! Especially when I’ve got my head down and I’m writing writing writing all day (like now!) it means the world to me to know that people are waiting for it. Thank you.

16. Rebecca says:

I gasped so loudly when I read that first sentence that my husband ran over to make sure everything was okay. I AM SO EXCITED! Congrats, good luck, and we are all waiting….no pressure though. :)